By Andrew N. | December 22, 2013
I love Ohio State. I feel like I needed to throw that out there before I start this so there isn’t any confusion. But like everything, there are some aspects of this school that irk me. Over the course of a couple weeks, partially as a way to clear my mind from finals, I came up with a list of 10 minor issues I have with campus.
- Rocks by Thompson- You know that stone path on the Mirror Lake side of the Thompson Library? It is impossible to walk on them with any form of consistency. The spacing is awkward and while I think stone paths are cool, it is the only one of its kind and seems out of place.
- Steps by the PAES Buliding- Speaking of awkwardly spaced walkways, those steps up the side of the PAES building (underneath the Scarlet Skyway) are the worst stairs to try and climb. Too big for single steps, too small for two steps, everything is just all wrong.
- Bathrooms in Scott- As a mechanical engineer, I spend a lot of time in Scott Lab. As far as I know, this is the only building with this problem, but the toilets flush about 100 times harder than they need to, splashing water everywhere and creating a giant wet mess for the next person to enjoy.
- The Other Mirror Lake Ducks- Everyone knows about Afroduck; he even has his own twitter (https://twitter.com/OSUAfroDuck), but I feel bad for every other duck who is unappreciated. I understand this isn’t really a problem the university can fix, but it bothers me on a personal level.
- Lack of Late Night Dining- As a north campus guy my whole life, there is absolutely no late night dining options anymore on campus. When I was a freshman, I could (and often would) get Burritos or PAD at 1:30 AM. However now they close at midnight, and my stomach goes hungry.
- Fences- This one doesn’t need much explaining. I’m fairly certain there are more places around campus that I can’t walk due to construction fences than they are places I am allowed to walk.
- JO North Closes on Gamedays- I can sympathize with being closed during the game, or even a couple hours around the game, but if there is a football game at noon and I want to workout at 9:00 PM, I would appreciate if you could be open.
- Chairs in the Rooftop Garden- So if you didn’t know, there is a rooftop garden on top of the KSA. And that would be the COOLEST place to hang out ever, except the chairs they have up there are terribly uncomfortable. If you would put some decent chairs up there, that might be my favorite location on campus.
- No Driving Zone at Thompson- That brief stretch of Neil Ave by the library that is blocked off to cars puzzles me. It is no more a high traffic pedestrian area than any other part of mid campus where cars are allowed, so I’m pretty sure its only purpose is to annoy drivers and confuse visitors.
- Left Handed Desks- I’m not even left handed and this rustles me. There are hardly any left handed desks in classrooms, usually just a single row at the far end, and sometimes right handed people take them! Left handed people have it hard enough as it is, can we at least give them a proper desk?
Some of these things are petty, others downright ridiculous issues to complain about. That may be because I think my school is great, and it’s hard to find things I don’t like. Or it may be because whining about silly things is fun. Either way, I’m fairly confident that none of these examples are ruining any part of my college experience.