By Julia S. | April 23, 2014
Misery and celebration are always better when collectively shared, if being an Ohio State student has taught me anything.
One of my favorite twitter accounts, Only at Ohio State, brings daily satisfaction either by making light of the struggles of being an OSU student, or reveling in the glory of how awesome our school is. Either way, despite the many ways in which each person’s Ohio State experience is unique, the average OSU student goes through a lot of the same experiences in their 4-ish years here:
1. Eating at Cane’s more than once in a week and not knowing whether to feel ashamed or satisfied about it
2. Audibly laughing when you find out your number in line for graduation (mine’s 1300 for my college alone) because no matter how small Ohio State feels you’re still going to graduate with 10,000 people
3. Mocking the fact that your professor thinks in-class group assignments are a good idea in your 700-person biology lecture, but then silently resigning to participate in them for the sake of your grade
4. Flinching at the mere mention of OSU’s Chemistry Department, regardless of whether or not you’ve even taken a chem class here (because you’ve at least stared in disbelief at your roommate who is ecstatic to have gotten a 32% on her o-chem midterm; because it was above the average)
5. Reluctantly accepting the fact that there will never be a day when you can walk to class without being subjected to the frighteningly extensive and seemingly arbitrary campus construction projects
1. Definitively knowing that your school’s football rivalry is actually The Most Important because you’ve jumped in freezing, diseased pond water to tangibly prove it, along with a few thousand of your closest friends
2. Enjoying a subtle sense of hipster-esque superiority knowing that instead of a “quad,” your school has an oval that conveniently turns into Oval Beach when it’s nice out
3. Casually getting to go see artists like Juicy J, Childish Gambino, and Skrillex perform on campus for free because we’re that big of a deal:
4. Being surrounded by so much school spirit that you get to bask in the veritable feeling of celebrating a national holiday every single football Saturday
5. Waking up every day knowing that you go to a school so awesome they had to put a THE in front of the name
Rude Awakening: LOL finals week. Undergrad is kicking my butt til the very end. If I don’t make it to my own graduation, it’s because I’ve made the executive decision to take a month-long nap instead.
Pleasant Surprise: I should be very nostalgic and weepy that my golden years as a college undergrad are coming to an end, but I’m really not. Maybe it’s because I don’t have to say goodbye to anyone just yet, or maybe it’s because I get to stay in Columbus for the summer again (I mean, I do live here, right?). Either way, my summer plans will consist mostly of working… somewhere (TBA), having a season-long celebration for the fact that I’m about to turn 21 (the real adult age), and eagerly anticipating the start of grad school (HERE, AT OHIO STATE!!!!).
Until then, happy studying!
In firm friendship,
Julia Rose S.
Concert pic: https://twitter.com/jordyg0ld/status/454473853348372480/photo/1
Fire pic: http://memecrunch.com/meme/1DA6B/me-trying-to-save-my-grades/image.png